Easter is my favorite Holiday of the year! Flowers and trees are starting to bloom, the weather is becoming warmer and it reminds me of new life. It reminds me of second chances and new beginnings.
I made this purse with my faith in mind. While I love the bunnies and the colored eggs that surround Easter, I also remember the true meaning of the Holiday; Jesus Christ’s Resurrection. This also symbolizes new life and new beginnings to me.
This is a really easy purse to make and is another great pattern for beginners. The whole pattern is made in single crochet. I am starting to experience with making handles that aren’t crocheted, so, I made a nylon strap handle for this purse. I have directions for how I made it (super easy!). However, I do have directions for making a crocheted handle in the pattern as well.
I hope you enjoy this pattern and as always, I am here to help if you need anything. Happy Crocheting!
Girls Easter Crochet Purse
Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn (I used light purple)
Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn-White
2 white zippers. One 7″ and one 9-10″ (You can use larger zippers and cut to size as well.)
Purse handle if you are not crocheting one. (Instructions for a crocheted handle and a nylon handle also included)
K hook (6.5mm)
1. Chain 25
2. In second chain from hook, single crochet. Single crochet in each chain. Chain 1, turn (24 single crochet)
3. Single crochet in each stitch, chain 1, turn
4. Repeat #3
5. Single crochet in the round (single crochet as normal, when you reach the 24th stitch, instead of chaining one and turning, you will continue to crochet around to the other side. There will be 2 single crochet on each side as you turn to the long row. There will be a total of 52 single crochet’s in the round.) Slip stitch, chain 1, turn
(The chain 1 does not act as the first stitch throughout the pattern so make sure you single crochet in the first stitch.)
6. Repeat #5 for 18 more rows. There will be a total of 19 rows in the round when done)
7. Switch yarn to white
8. Single crochet in the round (52 single crochet), Bind-off
1. Chain 3, In second chain from hook, single crochet. Single crochet in next chain, Chain 1, turn (2 Single Crochet)
2. Single crochet in each stitch, chain 1, turn for a total of 13 rows
3. Bind-Off and set aside
4. Chain 3, In second chain from hook, single crochet. Single crochet in next chain, Chain 1, turn (2 Single Crochet)
5. Single crochet in each stitch, chain 1, turn for a total of 3 rows
With a long piece of the Bernat Baby Blanket White Yarn, sew the 2 sides of the cross onto the long piece. Count down to the 4th stitch on the long piece (on both sides) and sew the sides on to form the cross. Set cross aside
Bernat Baby Blanket Light Purple Yarn or whatever color you chose.
1. Chain 17
2. In second chain from hook, single crochet in each chain, chain 1, turn
3. repeat #2 for 11 more rows (You will have 12 rows when you’re finished)
Sew the cross onto the pocket and then sew the pocket onto the front side of the purse.
With sewing string, sew on both zippers.
Add your handle using D-Rings or crochet make your own loops.
A strand of Nylon as long as you would like your purse handle to be + 4 inches.
Make sure that your Nylon is not twisted and is laying flat. Take one inch of the nylon and fold it and then add the purse clip and fold it again, over the clip. Pin in place. Do this on both ends. Sew the nylon where you folded it over the clips. I went back and forth over it a few times. That’s it! Super easy and done in less than 5 minutes!
Optional: Crochet Handle
Using what color you want to use, chain 4, single crochet in second chain from hook and single crochet in each chain, chain 1 turn. Continue single crocheting until you have the desired length for a handle. Remember, yarn stretches, so keep that in mind when making your handle. You can either sew it right onto the purse, onto D-rings, or crocheted loops.
Courtney Echeverria, CrochetRemedy, LLC©